Wellbeing: A Growing Global Movement
Many professionals in positive psychology and the social sciences are on a mission to increase global wellbeing and fulfill the directive by Martin Seligman, “the founding father of positive psychology”, to have 51% of the world’s population flourishing by 2051.
Numerous positive psychology initiatives are under across many domains. For example:
- In Education, educators have advanced programs to develop character in children—which has been shown to increase self-efficacy, civic engagement and voter turnout, higher income and more productive contributions to society, overall wellbeing, and academic performance.
- In healthcare, programs have been developed to teach optimism, resilience, and wellbeing. A more optimistic explanatory style has been linked to better immune system function, as well as a reduction in hopelessness, depression, anxiety, and cardiovascular disease.
- Businesses are moving from “old style” leadership to positive leadership approaches that embrace the latest research. For the first time ever, positive organizations embrace concepts like humility, servant leadership, positive communication, positive contexts, and positive relationships. These, and other research based approaches, are changing corporate culture by increasing purpose, meaning, employee engagement, positive emotion, productivity, and innovation.
- In governments, wellbeing and positive psychology research have significantly influenced policies worldwide. In fact, the United Nations placed “happiness” on the global development agenda in July 2011. More than 40 countries now measure Gross National Happiness (GNH) alongside better-known economic indicators like GDP. Measuring GNH has begun to change the way that nations focus on, and distribute resources for, wellbeing initiatives.
Positive Voices: Our Role in Wellbeing
Positive Voices boosts global wellbeing by providing practical, science-based advice to a large online audience. We bring high-quality content from leading experts and top names in positive psychology and related fields. Some of our programs include
Positive Conversations: Broadcast Legend Larry King and Positive Psychology Dr. James Pawelski interview scholars, legends, and leaders because we believe in the power of conversation to spark ideas and inspire positive change.
Positive Voices Webinars: We offer free ongoing webinars and workshops to help people find meaning, increase their happiness, combat negative thinking, achieve their goals, improve their relationships, and much more.
Changemaker Community: We bring together science, community, and conversation to help people make changes in their lives and the world.
The Psychology of Flourishing: This online program, featuring Martin Seligman, the father of positive psychology, turns scientific research into a step=by-step process of personal growth, complete with 13 transformative video sessions, a 100+page workbook, and dozens of powerful exercises and practices.
The Best Life Blueprint Classes: This five-week series is moderated by a positive psychology expert and is done with a small cohort. Through this series, you will experience the Psychology Flourishing Program, featuring Dr. Martin Seligman, AND you will participate in powerful real-time group conversation. You will learn as you move through the program the following and much more:
- Evidence-based practices to elevate your happiness
- What science says about how to dispute our negative thoughts
- Evidence-based practices in goal achievement
- How to uncover your signature strengths and use them in your life
- How to create your own mission statement
- Much more
Positive Voices is a benefit corporation. As such, Positive Voices is committed to supporting projects that increase global wellbeing via grants and partnerships.